Phil and I are big brunch people. We enjoy having a lazy morning making breakfast and lounging around the house. We have had many variations of this open faced sandwich and every time it is delicious! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
Serving size is for two people
4 slices thick crusty bread (we like sourdough)
1/2 medium onion
2 cups mixed vegetables (brussel sprouts, broccoli, carrots, cabbage)
1 cup shredded cheese
Tomato basil spice mix
salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp Olive oil
1. Add olive oil to pan and saute chopped onions over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Add mixed vegetables and saute for about 10 minutes. Add tomato basil spice mixture, salt and pepper to taste.
2. In the meantime, preheat the oven to 375*. Place bread on cooking sheet and spread mayonnaise on bread.
3. Boil 3 cups water and add a splash of white vinegar and salt to the water. This will prevent sticking. Reduce to simmer and poach one egg at a time. We like to crack the egg in a small bowl and slowly add it to the water. Set timer to 3 minutes and try to keep at just under a boil. Repeat for all 4 eggs.
4. When you completed two poached eggs, top the slices of bread with the vegetable mixture and shredded cheese. Place in over for 5-6 minutes or until cheese starts to melt.
5. Remove bread and veggies from baking sheet and top with poached egg. Top with pepper and it is ready to serve.
Enjoy! This is by far my favorite breakfast. We have it about once a weekend. Try it out for yourself once then impress your brunch guests with this breakfast sandwich. What is your brunch go-to recipe?